forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] cost of smooth migration and/or backward compatibility (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Plugin and themes naming convention)
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:53:08 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> On 2/12/06, Ferdinand Soethe <ferdinand@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:
>>

>>>It will cause problems for users having to change their local installs.
>>>This kind of thing annoys and upsets users. We would have to provide an
>>>alias facility for existing names.
>>
>>Aren't we going a bit too far in our attempts to provide a smooth
>>transition?
>>
>>Is it really asked too much to follow a list of well
>>documented changes like adjusting plugin names?
>

> I didn't follow this discussion but if it's really that simple, why
> couldn't we automate that anyway?

Because we are still trying to decide if it is necessary or not, no
point in automating if we decide not to do it ;-)

However, I think the intent of Ferdinands thread is in danger of being
lost because of my mixing of concerns in my reply. Lets move the "to
automate or not" part back to the naming vonventions thread and, in this
thread focus on Ferdinands attempt to define boundaries between ease of
upgrade and ease of development.

Ross