forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PhotoGallery plugin
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:34:12 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Since the recent changes to the PhotoGallery plugin
> > to gain the ability to automatically generate the
> > thumbnail variants, it cannot now be used with
> > an existing Gallery-using site.
> >
> > So now one would need to use an older version of
> > the Gallery plugin. However we forgot to deploy
> > it and increment the version number prior to
> > this change.
> >
> > To get around this, i have updated back to an older
> > revision of trunk and 'ant release' the plugin as ...-0.2.zip
> > Then come back to head and incremented the version
> > number once more. Hopefully that is what is needed.
>
> Sorry David.  I could look into making the plugin backwards compatible
> if that's desired?

If possible then that is good for users.
Otherwise we need to say in the plugin's
status.xml or perhaps an upgrading doc
what they need to change.

I took the option of just specifying an old
version of the plugin until i can help with
the trunk dev version.

The main part of my message was to say that
we all need to be more careful to "release"
a plugin and change version numbers if we
radically change its behaviour. We have all
forgotten this at times.

There are some basic notes:
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html#release
and we need to merge the notes from