forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest Friday - 10 March 2006
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:39:49 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > The next ForrestFriday is about two weeks away.
> >
> > I cannot be the operator, so someone else needs
> > to take over.
> >
> > I might still get to participate a bit
> > depending on hotel net access.
> >
> > There are notes for the "operator" at
> > http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html
> >
> > -David
>
> Assuming I can figure out how, I can operate it also assuming that
> this duty doesn't require much more than turning something on and
> having it run in the background.

It is very easy. i was a beginner too.

The operator is just the first person to join
the channel. Doing that creates the channel.
You need to remain connected all day.

Practice beforehand. Connect to irc.freenode.net
invent a channel name like #tim-foo and join it.
You will be the only one there so talk to yourself.

The main thing is to keep a reliable logfile.
Otherwise we cannot do the event. The logger bots
used by Cheche and Diwaker are nice, but not always
available or reliable, so the operator must keep
a logfile.

We also need someone to start the summary in SVN.
Usually that is me.

The other side of things is to coordinate it,
i.e. remind people that it is on.

Anyway, all the instructions that i could think of
are at the abovementioned link.

-David