forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deployed plugins with wrong version number
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 03:13:34 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Reviving this old thread from Nov 26, 2005.
>
> At today's ForrestFriday we discussed the issue
> again. See the IRC logfile.
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/events/forrest-friday/20060210-log.txt
>
> Ross, i figured out some of my confusion about this.
> I did not realise that there are two separate targets
> "deploy" and "release".
>
> Please review this revision which i think fixes the deployment.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/plugins/build.xml?rev=376952&r1=376890&r2=376952&diff_format=h
>
> Next we need to investigate the fetch-plugin stuff,
> then deploy all relevant plugins.

Hmmm, i reckon that this is not going to work.
For example, the projectInfo input plugin.

We recently upgraded that plugin to use locationmap,
so now it is bound to forrest-0.8 version.
That is now deployed as the top-level unversioned
f.a.o/plugins/o.a.f.plugin.projectInfo.zip

So now forrest-0.7 users need to specifically declare
the versioned plugin which forrest-0.7 will find at
f.a.o/plugins/0.7/o.a.f.plugin.projectInfo-0.1.zip

Perhaps the following arrangement would be better:

Deploy both versioned and unversioned plugins to
the respective forrest.version directory, i.e.

f.a.o/plugins/0.7/o.a.f.plugin.projectInfo.zip
f.a.o/plugins/0.7/o.a.f.plugin.projectInfo-0.1.zip
f.a.o/plugins/0.8/o.a.f.plugin.projectInfo.zip
f.a.o/plugins/0.8/o.a.f.plugin.projectInfo-0.2.zip

Don't use the top-level f.a.o/plugins/*.zip at all.

To enable forrest-0.7 to continue to operate, use a
f.a.o/plugins/.htaccess file to enable Apache HTTP
Server to re-direct to f.a.o/plugins/0.7/*.zip

Also need re-direct for the old f.a.o/plugins/0.8-dev/
to f.a.o/plugins/0.8/

That would cause breakage for users of 0.8-dev
who do not have an up-to-date SVN trunk. If they
cannot update to head, then they can specify a
direct versioned plugin.

Would that be sufficient?

-David