forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [zone] httpd configuration (was character entities)
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 05:26:48 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > David Crossley escribi??:

> > > Hmm, and how are they doing the checkout?
> >
> > At the moment it is actually the other way around.
> > They maintain the files on the server, and a tar-it-up.sh
> > to gather the important files, then a committer unpacks
> > and adds it to svn. A temporary measure.
>
> Hmm, yeah a route that we should not go.

However it might make sense for these few
secret files, to get around the problem that
you describe below.

> > > I thought the private stuff is
> > > with password and we cannot checkout stuff with a user on zones.
> >
> > As long as the user is in the right group
> > it will be fine. And as long as each user sets
> > their umask properly.
>
> Hmm, you know that svn stores the password in a file? This means at
> least sudo can look up all passwords if she wants.

I see what you mean. However our committers
are trusted and people only get sudo if they
need it. Still you are right.

I wonder how other projects do it.
Perhaps a question for infra@.

Actually all the svn checkouts that i have
done on the zone are anonymous checkouts,
i.e. http and not https, so no password.
However, that will not work for our section
of the committers repository.

> I thought that was
> the reason why we could not set up a forrestbot on zones that is
> actually as well deploying to our website. ???

Not really. The reason is that we cannot
use a role-based account to do svn checkin.
i.e. imagine that we wanted to have a special
user called 'fb' and use that to run forrestbot
and do 'svn ci'. We cannot because 'fb' is not
a committer and so has no credentials.

> > That module is private to "committers" so that
> > should be okay.
>
> Yeah, still the password is stored on the server.

> > > Agree but I am not sure how you thought about it.
> >
> > Neither am i.
>
> ;-)

> > > Actually I submitted a patch to infrastructure to monitor lenya.zones
> > > with http://monitoring.apache.org/status/
> > >
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-698
> > >
> > > If we want, I can do the same for forrest, then we know when it is down
> > > and can react.
> >
> > Our http server should only be down if the whole
> > zones machine has been rebooted. So IMO no need
> > for monitoring.
>
> I have set up (again) a lenya instance on
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/index.html for us a while ago. I have not
> told anyone till now because I hoped that my infra patch will be applied
> and we could monitor the server right away. I did some testing with up
> times and it seems to be fine this time.
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org:9000/
>
> But actually I would like to propose to set up a lenya instance on *our*
> zones server (due to the fact that I am the only one in lenya ATM that
> is looking out for the zone, it does not make any different to me to
> support it directly here). I am keen that we slowly playing around with
> lenya as cms and that we are independent from the lenya zone.

Better propose that in a separate thread.
Sounds like a good idea. That way other Forrest
committers can help.

> Further I would like to see as well a dynamic instance of forrest
> running on zone (I plan to start a web gui for dynamically altering
> structurer files) as show case.

We need to first make sure that forrest is
not a resource hog. This zone machine is shared
with other users, and we don't want to get
a bad name.

> > > Yeah on lenya we seem to have it because you cannot stop the httpd
> > > without another one get up instantly. I will try to find the difference
> > > between both configs.
> >
> > We don't have any config. As you can see we must start by
> > hand after a reboot.
>
> I will try to set this up ASAP, since just today the server was down again (I started
it again).

Okay, i presume that you mean 'smf'.

-David