forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] cost of smooth migration and/or backward compatibility (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Plugin and themes naming convention)
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:38:52 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> It will cause problems for users having to change their local installs.
> This kind of thing annoys and upsets users. We would have to provide an
> alias facility for existing names.

Aren't we going a bit too far in our attempts to provide a smooth
transition?

Is it really asked too much to follow a list of well
documented changes like adjusting plugin names?

Different story if we were talking about effects like upgrading early
Firefox versions. It _really_ made me mad how at some point each
upgrade would force you to reinstall all of your extensions and
reconfigure everything by hand.

But we are really just talking about changing a few names, if they are
using those plugins at all.

And compare this to other side effects our recent developments have had
or will have. Not saying that they are wrong (!), but consider that the
changes planned or already done will invalidate a good part of people's
knowledge of how Forrest works. And the time it well take them to
learn about 0.8.

I'd rather spend time on providing a smooth transition of user's
knowledge about Forrest than worry about update mechanisms for such
minor changes (or not make those changes for that reason).

--
Ferdinand Soethe