forrest-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Plugin and themes naming convention
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:55:13 GMT
El vie, 10-02-2006 a las 17:54 +0100, Ferdinand Soethe escribió:
> > Singular for a "plugin" package ...
> 
> +1
> 
> > org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.fooBar
> > org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.xhtml
> 
> > Plural for a "themes" package ...
> 
> +1
> 
> simply because the have the capability to contain more than one
> 
> 
> > org.apache.forrest.themes.core
> > org.apache.forrest.themes.backyardGarden
> 
> Much in favor or camel case because it is so much better to
> understand once we get into more complex names.
> 
> Perhaps each of us can donate some upper case keys to Thorsten to help
> with the transition :-)

jeje

no, let me explain why from java logic
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery
would mean there is a class e.g. named PhotoGallery.java in the
following *path*
org/apache/forrest/plugin/input/PhotoGallery.java

What we are doing (given Ross explanation)

El vie, 10-02-2006 a las 14:14 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Yeah, I see your point, I interpret it the other way around A package 
> name relates to a bunch of related classes, a class is not necessarily
> a 
> single class (inner classes).
> So a package name is org.apache.forrest.plugins.input and a class
> name 
> is ProjectInfo (for example).
> 

right now is not conform to the java spec. 

If we would adopt the dir structure I still argue that the 
package should be called org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.photoGallery
since it is more then just a "bunch of related classes". It is a package
of classes. ;-)

With camel case we would (logically) prevent that plugins could provide
components.
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.photoGallery.transformation.PhotoGallery
would be in a dir called:
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery/


See as well the current path structure of src/java in the dispatcher
plugin (package org.apache.forrest.dispatcher;) for what I mean:
.
`-- org
    `-- apache
        `-- forrest
            `-- dispatcher
                |-- ContractBean.java
                |-- ContractBeanDOMImpl.java
                |-- DispatcherException.java
                |-- DispatcherHelper.java
                |-- acting
                |   `-- RecursiveDirectoryTraversalAction.java
                |-- lenya
                |   `-- xml
                |       |-- DocumentHelper.java
                |       `-- NamespaceHelper.java
                |-- transformation
                |   `-- DispatcherTransformer.java
                `-- util
                    `-- SourceUtil.java

> 
> > Leaving the existing plugins names as-is.
> > That adds to confusion, but too big to change.
> 
> Why is it such a big change? I'd change existing names if possible
> unless it is really a major effort.

If we can provide scripts for updating I agree we could lesser the
effort and should do it. We could write a bash script or a windows
version (*.bat). 

...or as well we could write a java class (in a package
org.apache.forrest.helper). ;-)

salu2
-- 
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!" 
Hey you (Pink Floyd)


Mime
View raw message