forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Plugin and themes naming convention
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:32:27 GMT
El vie, 10-02-2006 a las 17:56 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
> >>Leaving the existing plugins names as-is.
> >>That adds to confusion, but too big to change.
> >

> > Why is it such a big change? I'd change existing names if possible
> > unless it is really a major effort.
>
> It will cause problems for users having to change their local installs.
> This kind of thing annoys and upsets users. We would have to provide an
> alias facility for existing names.

The other reason is that if we do not have any sync system with
build.properties/local.build.properties like e.g. in lenya:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/lenya/trunk/build.properties?rev=372798&view=markup
"#Build properties version to make sure that local.build.properties is
kept in sync
# NOTE: Do NOT modify this number unless you are a Dev and want to modify this file
# NOTE for Devs: Update this number if this file is being updated.
#                Also update the version number within src/targets/properties-build.xml

build.properties.version=372797"

That would ensure that user now that we changed something that radical.

Like Ross said we do not want to upset the user.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"