forrest-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scher...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Plugin and themes naming convention
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:35:20 GMT
El vie, 10-02-2006 a las 14:14 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El vie, 10-02-2006 a las 13:04 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> > 
> >>Plugins are called something like:
> >>
> >>org.foodomain.forrest.plugin.bar
> >>
> >>i.e. "plugin" is singular
> >>
> >>But we have two themes which:
> >>
> >>org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat
> >>
> >>and
> >>
> >>org.apache.forrest.themes.core
> >>
> >>i.e. "theme" and "themes" is used
> >>
> >>I propose that we normalise on the existing naming convention used in 
> >>plugins, i.e. we use "theme" (singular)
> >>
> > 
> > 
> > -1 for theme.
> > 
> > +1 for normalise.
> > 
> > Since core is providing not only *one* theme (singular) but at least 3
> > (coat, pelt, common) it makes more sense to call theme packages
> > "org.apache.forrest.themes.x".
> 
> That is true for themes.core, but (probably) not true for third party 
> themes, which will be singular, and hopefully more common.

Hmm, the idea is (or was original) that you can provide a themes package
for e.g. css-zengarden and there you would have a collection of themes
within. 

...but I see your point and have to think about a wee bit more.


> More importantly, the plural is different to the plugin convention, 
> which serves to confuse. It is this confusion I am trying to avoid.
> 
> >>----
> >>
> >>On a related issue. We have no consistency in the naming of plugins.
> >>
> >>I have tried to follow the Java convention of lower case for the 
> >>"package" names and Camel case for the plugin name:
> >>
> >>i.e. org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.FooBar
> >>
> >>I propose that new releases of plugins should all conform to the camel 
> >>case usage. We'll keep the current naming for already released plugins.
> > 
> > 
> > hmm, I find it harder to use the Uppercase variant on linux and since
> > java packages do not use uppercase in package names (e.g. package
> > org.apache.lenya.transaction;).
> > 
> > See above, I see plugins more as a packages and I am not very happy with
> > naming them org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.FooBar because for me that
> > is a package and not a Class.
> 
> Yeah, I see your point, I interpret it the other way around A package 
> name relates to a bunch of related classes, a class is not necessarily a 
> single class (inner classes).
> 
> So a package name is org.apache.forrest.plugins.input and a class name 
> is ProjectInfo (for example).
> 
> However, your argument has just as much merit. In this case I don't 
> really care which way we go, as long as we are consistent. So we need at 
> least one more person to express a preference and I'll be happy to go 
> with whatever it is.

same here.

salu2
-- 
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain
Wyona Inc.  -  Open Source Content Management  -  Apache Lenya
http://www.wyona.com                   http://lenya.apache.org
thorsten.scherler@wyona.com                thorsten@apache.org


Mime
View raw message