forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Bolger <pbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:21:19 GMT
> Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
> items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
> headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
> sites.
>
> Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
> recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
> the custom navigation.

This is getting away from my initial proposal somewhat, which was more
of a content indexer. Don't take that as too negative though: I'm
fully prepared to be convinced on this and I'm interested in being
part of the development process. I must admit that I'm a little hazy
about how RSS would work in this context.

> > what you're talking about but I'm thinking you could do something like
> > this:
> > o) Add a metadata element called "expires":
>
> other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
> also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)

The only problem with 'expires' is that - this is a real world
situation - everyone goes off on holidays and the news items all get
automatically killed. No news isn't good news if you have a space for
four items on your page! I'd prefer "the last four stories published".
I'm interested in how one would go about adding the extra metadata
element. Is it possible for the source doc to have an appended, or
extra,  DTD with custom elements?