forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Bolger <pbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat)
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:09:13 GMT
> Actually the thing that most worries me that all the conversations and
> complaints not have been directed to this list but to others. We never
> had a chance to help or response.
>
> > The way forward, in the short term, has to be to support users willing
> > to be *power* users. We need to provide something above and beyond other
> > tools *out of the box*. As devs we know just how powerful Forrest is,
> > but it seems our vision is not being seen outside the project.
> >

> Actually do not worry too much about this, we are <1.0 and not ready for
> a big user base. Having our vision of forrest to much outside of the
> project is producing high expectation and lots of interested users,
> asking questions, that we will answer and not working on 1.0.
>
> You pointed out our target user: *power* users, that give valuable
> feedback how we have to enhance.
>
> > We need to make it as simple as possible for power users to stay up to
> > date (see other threads). Once we have that in place we can start going
> > out there looking for those users, I would propose putting together a
> > demo of a (single site) site-build project and taking it to site-dev as
> > a prototype (we have much to do before we do that though - this is a
> > medium term vision).

Having had a chance to experiment a bit with the dispatcher I keep
finding that the existing contracts are too Forrest, or Apache,
specific - it's no coincidence that most 'Forrest Powered' sites look
a little bit like the Forrest site. I'd like to propose (and in plain
English this means I'd like to do it, but don't have the technical
ability to pull it off on my own...) a set of contracts to overcome
this. New navigation contracts would be a good start: nav-main and
nav-section are very much based on the original Forrest site (and
nav-section relies on Javascript, a big problem for me) - a set of
contracts to produce very plain lists of links according to various
criteria would be very useful.
I think the appropriate time to do this would be immediately after the
official dispatcher release. Anyone interested in collaborating?