forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: non-descript cocoon error
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:36:07 GMT
On 1/22/06, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/22/06, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > As Ross suggested, I did check my xalan version and updated it to use
> > > the forrest version of xalan.  The transform still works on the
> > > command line and this snippet works if I remove the transform step.
> > > They both work independently just not together.
> >
> > The output of the generator has namespaces, did your xsl takes this into
> > account?
>
> yes.
>
> > >   I've simplified the
> > > xsl to be no more than a helloworld stylesheet just to make sure.
> >
> > Ok, then let us step back and try something simpler maybe you added a
> > method that is not valid. Try something like
> > <xsl:template match="/">
> >  <xsl:copy-of select="*"/>
> > </xsl:template>
> >
> > ...and see what it gives.
> >
> > Do you remember your last modification?
>
> I've never gotten this to work.  I'm doing essentially the same thing
> in the Blog plugin though.
>
> > > I've seen this work before
> >
> > How? something like:
> > java -jar saxon8.jar -o status.xml log.xml tools/svn2changes.xsl
>
> Sorry, I meant I've seen essentially that same thing (xpathdirgen)
> work before when used in much the same way.
>
> > > and its simple stuff, just can't figure out
> > > what the heck i'm doing wrong here.  Thanks to all for the help....
> > > --tim
> > >       <map:match pattern="gallery/index.xml">
> > >          <map:generate type="xpathdirectory" src="{lm:project.images/gallery/}">
> > >             <map:parameter name="depth" value="99"/>
> > >             <map:parameter name="xpath" value="/"/>
> > >             <map:parameter name="sort" value="lastmodified"/>
> > >             <map:parameter name="reverse" value="true"/>
> > >             <map:parameter name="exclude" value="\.svn$"/>
> > >          </map:generate>
> > >         <map:transform src="resources/stylesheets/galleryHome.xsl"/>
> > >         <map:serialize type="xml"/>
> > >       </map:match>
> >
> > Actually if you say without the transformer it is working, I need to see
> > this xsl to say something.
>
> I can't even get what you wrote above working -- though mine wasn't
> much more than that. Here's your version:
>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>                 xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>                 xmlns:dir="http://apache.org/cocoon/directory/2.0">
>
>   <xsl:template match="/">
>     <xsl:copy-of select="*"/>
>   </xsl:template>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> > Anyway if you use <xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"/> that could be the
> > reason for failing, since I dunno whether cocoon supports 2.0.
>
> No, it's 1.0.  Since the generator works and the stylesheet alone
> works, I wonder what could make it not work together?  Just to make
> sure, I've tried applying the stylesheet to a xml based on a regular
> file generator and it works fine.  I'm wondering if the
> xpathdirectorygenerator somehow isn't returning the data fast enough
> for the transformer?  I'm not familiar with how the transformers
> [...]

These seem related.  Ross, if you can remember if you resolved this
issue please let me know what it was.

http://www.nabble.com/XPathDirectoryGenerator-gives-Runtime-exception-p404954.html

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user/18311

Anyway, I've done a bit more testing and it turns out that it might
have been my use of the xpathgenerator that caused my troubles.  I
still don't really know *why* it doesn't work, just what a workaround
is.

My problem was that I had a small little xml file that was acting like
a metacard for a photo album and, since it was small, I just wanted it
to return the whole thing so I set the xpath parameter like this:

<map:parameter name="xpath" value="/"/>

This got me the runtime error described in this thread.  For context,
the xml file looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<albuminfo>
    <title>my album title</title>
    <description>A description of the demo album</description>
</albuminfo>

I tried value="/albuminfo/title" and it works fine.  I'm not sure why
value="/" works fine to just serialize but when the transformer is
inserted it doesn't work?  Anyway, I finally get what I want by using
value="/albuminfo/*"  Now folks can easily extend the descriptors they
have available for the main gallery entry/index page by simply adding
a child element to albuminfo and referencing it in the
galleryInfo.xsl, which is really all I wanted here.

Thanks again for the help on this...

--tim