forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: photogallery plugin thoughts
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:03:02 GMT
On 1/6/06, Helena Edelson <helena@greenjaguar.com> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>  Just wondering since Java was mentioned, will you be coding this in xml for Forrest
or do you need something in Java for Cocoon?
>  something using JPEGCodec, JPEGImageEncoder, MediaTracker, Graphics2D, Resize, etc?
>
>  My experience is that uploading the full images and using software/code to generate
the thumbnail on the server is memory intensive, although I am not familiar with the readers
mentioned by Tim. I know of a dll that resizes on the server on upload but who runs windoz
servers anyway.

>  Helena

Hi Helena,
Yeah, I was talking about extending the ImageReader, which already
handles the resizing, to just write the newly resized image to disk.
I want this because of the memory intensiveness you've mentioned.  It
turns it into essentially a one-time (hopefully non-cached) cost, then
subsequent requests are read straight from disk instead of resizing
yet again.  I think this is a reasonable medium between pre-generating
everything and dynamically generating everything.
--tim