forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: photogallery plugin thoughts
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:28:47 GMT
Philippe,
Can you please send all mailing list email in *plain text*?  HTML
isn't very mailing list or mailing archive friendly.

Thanks,
--tim

On 1/6/06, philippe perez <Philippe.Perez@sun.com> wrote:
>            Hi Tim,
>
>  I read you proposal with a real interest because I have the same feeling a couple of
weeks ago.
>  (I don't have any skills in Java programming ... ;-) )
>
>  I'm using Forrest Photogallery plugin feature into a personnal genealogical site and
I'm
> [...]
>  disk space required according to the resolution used.
>
>  So in my point of view, I would be a great mechanism to only have one original picture
>  and Forrest take care of everything for the others 2. So point 2 is my preferred.
>
>  If somebody decides to implement that please let me know where I have to sign up ;-)
>
>  Regards
>
>  Philippe
>

>  Tim Williams wrote:
>    I've looked at the Photogallery plugin and have some changes I'd like
> to discuss.
>
> 1) Move from directory to file convention.  I don't particularly care
> for the whole directory-based convention for the image variations
> (preview | small | big).  I'd like to just be able to dump a bunch of
> existing image directories into the gallery and not have to do much
> work.  (Yeah, I know there's scripting that can do some grunt work
> here).  I'd like to move the plugin to a filename based approach.  The
> short version is that each image variation would live in the same
> directory as the main image file but with an added identifier in the
> name.  Something like:
> IMG001.jpg
> IMG001.thumb.jpg
> IMG001.small.jpg
>
> 2) Let cocoon generate these images for us.  I don't like having to
> pregenerate all of the image variations so I would like cocoon to do
> it for us. This is pretty simple with the ImageReader but we very
> quickly run into memory issues.  The only solution to this (besides
> the obvious boosting maxmem) I can think of is to implement a
> PersistentImageReader that, once it generates the requested image
> variation, writes it to disk.  Then, the next time though it only
> needs to be read from disk.  This means that cocoon needs write
> permission but it's about the best way I can think to do it.
>
> I've actually got #1 working with the plain ImageReader (although it
> could be static disk-based as well).  I've got #2 mostly working as
> well but the image writing needs some cleanup.  Anyway, I like where
> this is going but didn't want to drastically change the current plugin
> without some discussion.
>
> WDYT?
> --tim
>

> --
>

>        Philippe PEREZ
>        Partner Support Engineer
>         Tél. : +33 1 34 03 17 08
>         Fax : +33 1 34 03 17 20
>         Port. : +33 6 08 52 82 38
>        AIM : pperezfr
>
>         philippe.perez@sun.com
>

>        Sun Microsystems France S.A
>         13 avenue Morane Saulnier
>         78140 Velizy Villacoublay
>
>        Le site dédié à la formation :
>        http://fr.sun.com/formation
>

> Augmentez vos bénéfices.
>  Toutes les formations Solaris 10.
>        » Enregistrez-vous dès à présent
>               "Legal Notice
> The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for
the use of the recipient named above, and might be legally privileged.
> If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to
the sender and delete the original transmission or any copy of it."