forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r366100 - in /forrest/trunk/main: fresh-site/forrest.properties template-sites/basic/forrest.properties template-sites/benchmark/forrest.properties template-sites/business/forrest.properties template-sites/v3/forrest.properties
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:33:06 GMT
> crossley@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: crossley
> > Date: Wed Jan  4 23:01:23 2006
> > New Revision: 366100

> > Log:
> > Use minimal forrest.properties files.
> >
> > Modified:
> >     forrest/trunk/main/fresh-site/forrest.properties
> >     forrest/trunk/main/template-sites/basic/forrest.properties
> >     forrest/trunk/main/template-sites/benchmark/forrest.properties
> >     forrest/trunk/main/template-sites/business/forrest.properties
> >     forrest/trunk/main/template-sites/v3/forrest.properties
> >

> I'm not sure this is a good idea. Many users discover how to change
> things in Forrest by reading this document from their seeded site.
>
> If we are going to go for a minimal version like this (which certainly
> looks less scary) we need a doc to detail the changes that are possible,
> and we need the minimal file to point to that doc.
>
> Ross

I prefer having the beefier properties file vs minimal pointing to a
detailed doc.  I liken our properties file to httpd.conf where I would
be lost if they didn't have all of the directives in there commented
out and well-described.  I also suspect this will lead new folks to
making changes to webapp\default-forrest.properties because that's
where they happen to see the keys they want to change.  At least those
of us who follow the LBPA (learn by poking around) method.

--tim