forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Writing generated page to disk in "forrest run"
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:30:52 GMT
> The Problem
> ===========
>
> Users often make a change to a single page in their site and then want
> to commit that page.
>
> When making the change they will typically do "forrest run", make the
> edit and check it in a browser.
>
> They will then shut down forrest and do a "forrest site" which results
> in the whole site being generated, rather than just the changed pages.
>
> The Solution
> ============
>
> Write the page generated for rendering in the browser to build/site
>
> (its so simple, we never thought of it!)
>
> As well as the faster turnaround on doing minor edits we could also
> integrate things like the HTMLEditor plugin for in browser editing (or
> better yet get Lenya working with Forrest as we plan to).
>
> The Implementation
> ==================
>
> There are a number of ways of doing this, here is my suggestion though:
>
> "forrest run" is a webapp, lets use it. We could have a switch that
> detects when we are running in developer mode and adds an iframe to the
> skin. In this iFrame we will have a number of commands:
>
> - write current page to built site
>    (with an option to always write the file)
> - validate the site
> - build site (using forrestbot)
> - deploy site (using forrestbot)
>
> this can later be enhanced with things like:
>
> - validate external links
> - validate accessibility
> - validate HTML
> - ???
>
> I'm thinking a simple JSP application to do this will be best. It's only
> going to be a really simple application so no need for bringing in
> Cocoon Flow or anything like that.
>
> Comments?
>
> Ross

I'm not a huge fan of having a webapp writing content (security,
personal preference, etc.).  I think the current distinction of
"modes" of forrest is very logical and easy to understand for anyone
willing to take 5 minutes to learn a *little* about it.  I think we
have a long-standing issue to only build those files that have changed
and we should focus efforts on that considerably challenging problem -
building everything for one simple change is likely more of an
annoyance to our real users I suspect.  Although it doesn't seem to be
working for me at the moment, in theory at least, someone can already
type in:

forrest site /path/to/my/doc.html
(we should probably also start accepting a boolean for the CLI
"followLinks" flag too)

and get the desired effect IIUC.

Assuming this is done to appease the Incubator folks, I think we
should resign ourselves to the fact that they are too lazy and/or have
no desire to actually learn Forrest.  In doing this "enhancement",
you'll likely find that you've brought the horse closer to water and
you still can't make them drink.

Having said that, if it's your itch go ahead...

--tim