forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] code freeze on dispatcher related resources in trunk
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:03:42 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>However it is not yet, so that might hold up our
>>>0.8 release.
>>
>>1) why is it not ready?
>

> A while ago i noticed big performance problems.
> e.g. building site-author took four times as long.
>
> We need to do at least basic profiling.

+1 - to do this we need a release candidate. This thread makes it sound
like Thorsten is ready for this.

We also need to do this with the locationmap stuff. Tims work on caching
has improved things considerably, but there are still problems, I think.

See FOR-200

Perhaps we need a new "control" issue for the dispatcher, much like
for-200 is for the locationmap.

>>3) did we decide to switch from skins to the dispatcher in a 0.8
>>release?
>

> No, not even mentioned it yet. The last that i heard
> was that 0.8 was going to be mainly about locationmap
> with a test version of dispatcher-in-development.
>
> However, it sounds like you have made huge gains. Good.
>
> We would have a total documentation revision when that
> switch happens.

Yes, I would propose releasing 0.8 with the dispatcher as a plugin and
the skins system clearly marked as "deprecated". We should positively
encourage users to stop using skins and switch to the dispatcher.

The actual swap should happen in 0.9.

My reasoning is that we will have had more people testing the dispatcher
(I am continually hitting glitches with it at the moment - but I'm using
V2 so am not going into detail). In addition it will give us more time
to tidy up the docs and improve on performance (should it still be
needed after the v3 stuff).

Ross