forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: o.a.f.themer.Coat
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:17:28 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since the last answer to Gav, where I am talking about extending themes
> instead of creating new ones, I looked again in the coat theme.
>
> The coat theme is providing
> a) one structurer - coat.fv
> b) one css definition - coat.css
>
> For me it makes awfully lot of sense to integrate this two files into
> the core themes
> a) out of maintenance reasons
> b) as well because the theme package providing mechanism will not be
> ready for a while (since it has to be based on the final dispatcher
> release)
> c) it is apache stuff (a very good alternative to pelt or common) and
> belongs into the core.
>
> wdyt?

As an example of the download mechanism coat is indeed a bad example
because it has no contracts or anything like that.

My motivation for the theme download system is the same as being able to
host plugins elsewhere, that is themes can be released under a different
license if necessary, for example, there are a whole load of useful web
site themes based on CSS that cannot be released under the Apache license.

The second reason is that we can provide separate sample sites that show
off the theme to its best advantage.

If you want to move coat into the themer for the above reasons that is
fine, as long as we are able to provide separate sample sites for each
theme (again in the case of the coat theme, it doesn't provide any
contracts so doesn't actually need a sample site yet).

Ross

Ross