forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dispatcher gives stack overflow
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:40:26 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 19-01-2006 a las 17:12 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>I'm trying to get the listLocations plugin (or rather a copy of it)
>>working with the Dispatcher. However, I'm getting a stack overflow.
>>
>>Here's how my plugin differes from the current listLocations one:

>>Added project.theme=default and project.theme-extension=.fv to forrest
>>properties.
>>

> required/optional
>
> ...ah I just see project.theme=default does not exist anymore!!! it is
> now common.

Checked with common theme, same result.

>>Added a forrest.properties.xml file (with a value for my contract), but
>>nothing else, so it isn' really being used yet, since the contract s not
>>being used either.
>>
>>Doing Forrest run and http://localhsot:8888 results in a 500 response.
>

> Yeah, because http://localhsot != http://localhost (or is it a spelling
> error only in this mail?)

Spelling in the mail. Status Code 500 is a server configuration error.

>>The console reports there has been a stack overflow.
>>

> Hmm, stack overflow I only saw in raw occasion while developing this
> stuff (normally it was an error *I* made and leaded to a looping
> behavior).
>

>>Looking in the logs I see there is a problem with the locationmap. I am
>>seeing entried like this:
>>
>>PARAM: '2' VALUE:
>>'linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-index'
>>PARAM: '0' VALUE:
>>'structurer-properties.html.linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-index'
>>PARAM: '1' VALUE: 'html'
>>

> Hmm, never saw this in my life. ...but wait do you have a match="*.hmtl"
> in your plugin?

No. Only pattern="^(.*?)([^/]*)locations.xml$"

>>It looks to me like we have a loop between the sitemap and the
>>locationmap.
>

> hmm, I do not think so.

Something is adding all those "-linkmap" sections to the request. And it
sure looks like a loop to me. Maybe, you'll be more convinced if I tell
you that before the one copied above is a whole series that look like
this...

PARAM: 'hint' VALUE: 'structurer.html.index'

LEVEL 2
PARAM: '2' VALUE: 'linkmap-index'
PARAM: '0' VALUE: 'structurer.html.linkmap-index'
PARAM: '1' VALUE: 'html'
LEVEL 1 is named 'lm'
PARAM: '../hint' VALUE: 'structurer.html.linkmap-index

got location: cocoon://prepare.structurer.html.linkmap-index

PARAM: 'hint' VALUE: 'structurer.html.linkmap-linkmap-index'

got location: cocoon://prepare.structurer.html.linkmap-linkmap-index

PARAM: 'hint' VALUE: 'structurer.html.linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-index'

got location: cocoon://prepare.structurer.html.linkmap-linkmap-linkmap-index

And so on...

I have no idea why this is happening yet. My head still hurts too much
to dive into the sitemap/linkmap stuff.

>>I'll have another look at it when I have a refreshed head in the
>>morning. But I want to flag this up as another really good example why
>>we need remove this indirection as Tim suggested (see
>>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-783 )

<snip/>

> Bottom line, to point this out all the time does not fix it, you can
> either wait for the final dispatcher release or fix it yourself.

Please, lets not go down this particular route again. Nobody has asked
you to fix anything. Please do not take things personally.

My mail clearly states I will look at it again when I have time and a
clear head (see quoted text above). In the meantime I believe it is
helpful to us all if this kind of problem is documented in our mail
archives so that we can all learn from it.

Ross