forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:06:43 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
> Sorry Ross, my mail client shows pretty well the whole thread, and I
> forget that others don't see it that way. The conversation referred to
> Helena's RSS plugin (or whatever... means for using RSS in her site,
> covered in FOR-784) and her answer was regarding whether the method
> works for internal as well as external content. From what I understand
> Helen's method gets preexisting RSS data and organises it for display.
> This would certainly be useful, but automated RSS creation from
> Forrest internal docs format would be really useful. I really like the
> idea of using RSS as an internal indexing format, and just filtering
> the RSS to suit the use case.

OK, thanks.

Yes, looking at Helena's contribution is requries the original source in
RSS. It is pretty easy to create an RSS feed from existing content
though. You would use the directory generator to create a list of files
in on ore more directories and process that with XSL to create the RSS.

For examples on how to do this see the projectInfo plugin which uses the
directory generator to create site.xml entries.

This would be a good compliement to the Feeder plugin - but like
Thorsten obsered in earlier, we are getting dangerously close to doing
things that a CMS system should really be doing for us. This is a very
grey area - I'm not sure which side of the fence I sit on yet.

Ross