forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xml output plugin and filename extension .xml
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:56:08 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> I have a partially working output plugin to generate a
> plain xml document type solely to be consumed by Anakia. [1]
> They can it "xdoc".
>
> However, i have an issue at the moment. Can you help?
>
> I want the output to be .xml filename extension, but of
> course Forrest uses that for its internal format. I suppose
> that later Forrest will use .xhtml2 but not now or maybe
> not even use a filename extension..
>
> So i am using .xdoc
>
> localhost:8888/index.xdoc works now.
>
> Is there a way to reclaim the xml filename extension?

How about we change the internal format extension to ".forrest"

I see no reason why it should be ".xml", in fact having it as ".xml" has
forced us to use ".source.xml" for the original source. Which is counter
intuitive.

This would mean that your plugin can then use the xml extension to
output anakia format docs. I can see plugins ending up with clashes on
this URL - we can resolve those when the occur using the lcoationmap.

There is a backward compatability issue here though. If people are using
the *.xml urls for some reason (like one of my sites does) they will
need to rewrite client applications that retrieve those URLs. We could
provide an internal plugin that keeps backward compatability and
deprecate it (schedule for removal in the 1.0 release).

Fortunately the *.xml generation is turned off in the default
fresh-site, and I doubt many projects turn it back on. But we would
still need to vote on it.

Ross