forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Helena Edelson <hel...@greenjaguar.com>
Subject Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:03:09 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Helena Edelson wrote:
>
>> I don't know if I can help but I have several content RSS feeds on
>> one of my forrest sites, http://summitjournal.com
>> it was really simple do customize.
>

> [please do not top post, it loses context and results in far too much
> content being duplicated between mails]
>
> [context: creating RSS feeds from Forrest content objects]
>
> Can you explain a little about how you create these feeds?
>
> Ross

Sorry, that was unintentional and it was 4am.

I set up my RSS pages rather simply by implementing 4 things:
1. skin/....html/rss2document.xsl
2. resources/stylesheets/feeds.xsl
3. skinconf
4. xmap

Steps:
1. I set a few attributes I would regularly need to change in skinconf
such as:
  <rss-updated>Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:25 GMT</rss-updated> since it isn't
updated daily and I don't want the rss bots and readers hitting my site
giving me unuseful info for my logs.
2. rss2document.xsl is right from the distribution
3. feeds.xsl is the template I use to pipe everything through - all
content feeds plus content channel feeds.
1. I set up a few variables to get data for the rss header info for
accurate content searches on the rss repositories
(i.e. people looking for content on syndic8 and so forth).
2. Make skinconf data accessible to feeds.xsl
3. In sitemap, I set the pipelines for all the iterations of rss files
to be created.
Only 2 variants for each pipeline are needed:
    1. Filename: such as news-feed.xml)
    2. The parameter(s) mapped from <map:resource> aggregator which
holds all articles data.

4. Feeds.xsl template
// forrest stuff
// rss stuff
    <rss version="2.0">
      <channel>
        <title/>
        <link/>
        <description/>
        <language/>
        <copyright/>
       <pubDate/>
        <lastBuildDate/>
        <category/>
        <ttl/>
        <image>
          <title/>
          <url/>
          <link/>
        </image>

// now get article data from xml data files based on the parameter(s) in
xmap

        <xsl:for-each select="">
          <item/>
            <title/>