forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:41:05 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 11-01-2006 a las 23:21 +1300, Paul Bolger escribió:
>
>>>Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
>>>items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
>>>headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
>>>sites.
>>>
>>>Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
>>>recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
>>>the custom navigation.
>>
>>This is getting away from my initial proposal somewhat, which was more
>>of a content indexer. Don't take that as too negative though: I'm
>>fully prepared to be convinced on this and I'm interested in being
>>part of the development process. I must admit that I'm a little hazy
>>about how RSS would work in this context.

>>>other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
>>>also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)
>>
>>The only problem with 'expires' is that - this is a real world
>>situation - everyone goes off on holidays and the news items all get
>>automatically killed. No news isn't good news if you have a space for
>>four items on your page! I'd prefer "the last four stories published".
>>I'm interested in how one would go about adding the extra metadata
>>element. Is it possible for the source doc to have an appended, or
>>extra,  DTD with custom elements?
>

> The biggest problem I see is that the provide functionality is a CMS
> feature. Forrest is not a CMS it is a renderer.

Hmmmm....

I see your point. The back-end CMS would be a better place to do this.
This is another good reason to do it with RSS feeds, which could be
provided by the CMS, rather than with Forrest itself.

But then again, deciding what to publish is the role of the publishin
engine.

The lines are blurred here, I do not see a clear distinction between
where publishing ends and where management begins.

I think it's a case of "have the itch? scratch it".

Ross