forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Manageing pres releases and news items (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:43:49 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Paul Bolger <pbolger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Have you got the news sources in RSS? If so use the Feeder
>>>plugin/contract. (note that contract should now be moved to the feeder
>>>plugin since we now have that capability)
>>
>>No, the stories are just (hypothetically) Forrest internal document
>>format. In most sites I work on the most frequent content additions
>>are press releases, which can be in html, and which are then saved to
>>a 'news' directory.

Sounds to me like Forrest should be generating an RSS feed of these news
items. You could then leverage the feeder plugin for your home page
headlines, whilst you would also be able to provide feeds for external
sites.

Since RSS is a more widely adopted standard for this kind of thing I'd
recommend using creating a plugin that built the RSS feed rather than
the custom navigation.

>>The idea would be to get Forrest to manage the
>>links and possibly the archiving. Archiving in this sense would
>>consist purely of moving the link from a 'current' list to an
>>'archive' list.
>

> I like this idea and think it's related to what I was trying to do
> with the blog plugin -- use metadata to drive some of forrest's pages.

I actually have a use case for something like this - seems like we have
momentum (although, as ever little actual time).

>  I haven't read this whole thread so I may in fact be *way* off of

We should have changed the subject a couple of messages ago, you are
most likely up to speed, this emerged from the other thread but is quite
different.

> what you're talking about but I'm thinking you could do something like
> this:
> o) Add a metadata element called "expires":

other meta-data, such as keywords, summary and publication date could
also be used to good effect. But one at a time is a good idea ;-)

> o) Use the xpathdirectorygenerator against your news directory to see
> if it's "recent" or not.
>
> When  I get home and finish playing around with the photogallery
> plugin I'll get back to that blog one to try to finish it up as a good
> example of how to use metadata in a more powerful way in forrest -
> it's certainly not there yet.

Cool, hopefully Paul and I will be free to participate too.

Ross