forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: photogallery plugin thoughts
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:47:37 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>
>>Thanks David,
>>That patch appears to expand the image handling capabilities -- which
>>is cool -- but what I'm wanting is simply to write the image variants
>>to disk.  I've pretty much got it working but since it's a pretty huge
>>change I want to make sure it's cool with everyone first.  Right now,
>>each variant (small, preview, and big) is created in it's own
>>directory manually by the forrest user.  What I want is to just be
>>able to drag a bunch of my photo directories into the gallery and have
>>those variants generated by Cocoon automatically -- when I implemented
>>it I also made the change of being filename-based instead of directory
>>based.  This works fairly well though as you might imagine the first
>>time through it's still memory intensive too.
>>
>>I also eventually want to make an additional change in behavior.  The
>>gallery\ directory will be seen as the root gallery.  Any subdirectory
>>of that one can have a gallery.meta file that describes the gallery
>>and also may contain sub-galleries itself.
>

> I for one, am very happy that you make those changes.
> This would certainly change that plugin's version number
> since it is different behaviour.

+1

> So this would require adding the cocoon-imagereader-block
> to Forrest. Are you happy with doing Forrest's Cocoon
> upgrade process? I will do it if you are not comfortable.

Do not add the block to Cocoon. Add it to the rel;vant jars to the
plugin lib - no need to rebuild Forrests Cocoon.

(caveat: this only works if there are no xconf changes in the block,
although it should be possible to make the plugin system work even in
this instance - we'd need to discuss how, I've tried a few methods in
the past)

Ross