forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: theme package template (was Re: [proposal] Distributing themes)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:22:54 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 04-01-2006 a las 10:33 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>Your suggestion of adding docs to the themer directory plugin does not
>>work since this means all themes have to be hosted here at Forrest.
>

> Why?
>
> The documentation/samples is/could be in the *themes* package. Like:
> org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x/samples/...
>
> ...and of course in the contracts - the main documentation location for
> a theme!

We have crossed wires there. I thought you were suggesting that the docs
go in org.apache.forrest.plugins.output.themer

IO see above, you are actually saying the asme as me - cool ;-)

>>We
>>need a mechanism that allows local sites to use their own themes, and
>>hopefully publish them as well.
>

> Yeah, IMO we should extend the http://localhost:8888/ls.contracts.html
> to include all available contracts. The documentation about a theme
> should be mainly in the contracts - self explaining and standalone!!!

Don't forget a theme is also the way a page looks (i.e. the CSS and the
configuration of the contracts in a page layout).

I know we can argue that this is completely configurable and not
binding. But the reality is that very few users will actually change
much of the default stuff - look at how few have changed the default skin.

I think the realty of the average user is that they will go to some page
that looks like [1] and click on a picture that looks nice to download a
theme. As they learn Forrest they may start tweaking *.css and *.fv
files, but the "sale point" is [1]

Another really cool "sale point" is [2]

> Besides this documentation every theme could provide additional
> information, but all this could be done with the above root or directly
> in contracts.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it seems to be an implementation
detail, so we'll come back to it later.

>>>BTW actually I changed the convention because a theme does not only have
>>>to provide just *one* theme, but it can provide as many themes as it
>>>wishes. It is a package of themes.
>>
>>+1
>>

> :)
>
> Ok we have an overall agreement besides the documentation part. Nice.
> How can I set up the basic infrastructure for this new type of plugin?

Leave that with me - it'll probably be quicker for me to do it than to
expalain it, I know you will watch the commits. Probably get to it early
next week, I'll start with the Coat.

[1] http://www.alentus.com/hosted-applications/dnntour/WebsiteChangeSkin.asp
[2] http://www.alexking.org/software/wordpress/theme_browser.php