forrest-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: theme package template (was Re: [proposal] Distributing themes)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:33:26 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mar, 03-01-2006 a las 14:14 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió: 
> 
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>El mar, 03-01-2006 a las 13:25 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Ross Gardler wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I propose that themes be distributed as plugins rather than having them

>>>>>all in the themer plugin. ...
>>>>
>>...
>>
>>
>>>Resuming all above, I am with you that we need a system to package
>>>themes and make them downloadable but disagree about the overhead to do
>>>it with a plugin.
>>
>>What overhead? Specifics please.
>>
> 
> 
> You would just need 
> forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat/src/documentation/resources/themes/coat/*
forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.theme.Coat/src/documentation/resources/themes/coat.fv
> 
> everything else is overhead.

Sure, everything else is optional in the plugin installation process, or 
can easily be made optional, it's just a modification of the ant script.

However, don't forget the docs stuff. I want to see decent docs for 
themes too.

Your suggestion of adding docs to the themer directory plugin does not 
work since this means all themes have to be hosted here at Forrest. We 
need a mechanism that allows local sites to use their own themes, and 
hopefully publish them as well.

>>Note that I already addressed the point about docs, which should be 
>>removed from the download and packaged separately. This is easily done 
>>by adding an <exclude...> pattern to the ant script.
>>
>>Note that things like input.xmap, locationmap.xml etc. are only used if 
>>they are present.
>>
> 
> 
> Yeah, this sentence made me think whether we want to allow themes to
> provide a sitemap.xmap?

I don't think so, as you say a theme is *.fv and *.css files. If a theme 
needs to do processing of the data then it is really an output plugin 
isn't it? However, keeping the download mechanism the same gives us 
flexibility should a use case for arise.

>>>I agree as well on the naming convention, so how can we use the old
>>>fashion skin download mechanism for themes? 
>>
>>The plugin download mechanism *is* the original skin download mechanism 
>>(with versioning added).
>>
> 
> 
> Yeah, but the problem with using it directly as plugin is that the list
> of required plugins is growing to the unreadable. 

We don't have to list it as a plugin. Different naming convention, 
different descriptor file, different index page, same download mechanism.

> Anyway I am fine with using plugins directly but with another template
> like you suggested in your other reply to David. 
> 
> My suggestion for a theme template would be:
> 
> org.apache.forrest.theme.X/sitemap.xmap (optional -> I am not even sure
> whether we should allow that)
> org.apache.forrest.theme.X/themes/x.fv
> org.apache.forrest.theme.X/themes/x/*
> 
> or
> 
> org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x.fv
> org.apache.forrest.themes.X/x/*
> 
> That is optimized with nearly no overhead.
> 
> BTW actually I changed the convention because a theme does not only have
> to provide just *one* theme, but it can provide as many themes as it
> wishes. It is a package of themes.

+1

Ross


Mime
View raw message