forrest-dev mailing list archives

From CFAS Webmaster <webmas...@cfas.org>
Subject Re: Checksums to improve processing time [Re: Odd error...]
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 03:26:54 GMT
Ross,

  I do find them useful for one thing.  Since I haven't yet been able to
get forrestbot working, I use a different program to upload files to the
"production" site.  That utility primarily uses date/time stamps from
files to figure out which ones to upload.

  The checksums stop this utility from uploading the whole site every
time I update something.  Unfortunately the checksums do not, as David
and others have pointed out, save generation time as they compare the
generated file with what is on disk.

  Does anyone think there would be a way to capture checksums of the
*source* files so that Cocoon doesn't even look at unchanged files?
This would need to be done in such a way that if site-related data such
as copyrights or left-side menu items changed, the whole site is
regenerated...  Probably very tricky to do correctly.

-Paul