forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject New contracts (Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat))
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:18:51 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
> Having had a chance to experiment a bit with the dispatcher I keep
> finding that the existing contracts are too Forrest, or Apache,
> specific - it's no coincidence that most 'Forrest Powered' sites look
> a little bit like the Forrest site.

Very true.

> I'd like to propose (and in plain
> English this means I'd like to do it, but don't have the technical
> ability to pull it off on my own...) a set of contracts to overcome
> this.

It's easy to do, we'll help if you ask direct questions. FOr more
general stuff the archives and docs are your friends.

> New navigation contracts would be a good start: nav-main and
> nav-section are very much based on the original Forrest site (and
> nav-section relies on Javascript, a big problem for me) - a set of
> contracts to produce very plain lists of links according to various
> criteria would be very useful.

[OT} the nav-section contract no longer depends on javascript. You can
turn off the javascript stuff with a property, see the usage example in
the contract.

> I think the appropriate time to do this would be immediately after the
> official dispatcher release. Anyone interested in collaborating?

Timing - no time like the present.

I'm interesting in collaborating by advising. I don't need any new
contracts right now, but if you define what you want to do and ask a
direct question about how to do it then I will do my best to answer. As
will others.

Ross