forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Distributing themes
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:11:44 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>The reasoning sounds fine. I won't comment further until
>>>we hear Thorsten's view.
>>>
>>>The problem with the plugin approach is that there
>>>is too much extra weight of configuration files, e.g.
>>>skinconf.xml forrest.properties and other templates
>>>and default config, just to show one doc.
>>>
>>>That is probably an orthoganal issue. We need to
>>>solve it for plugins too.
>>
>>Agreed.
>>
>>I've been thinking for some time that there is no good reason for
>>distributing the docs with the plugins. They are available online and
>>should be made available as a separate download (we can use the same
>>framework). This is particularly important for plugins like the photo
>>album, which has some large images in the docs.
>>

>>>It is also creating a maintenance problem for the
>>>Forrest project. Synchronising and updating those is hell.
>>
>>Can you expand on the problems?
>

> If we make a change to the forrest.properties e.g.
> add a new parameter. The main example is at
> main/fresh-site/forrest.properties but the changes
> need to be replicated to every plugin. Same with
> skinconf.xml

Put the new config in default.forrest.properties (or
default.forrest.properties.xml if we adopt the new system). You only
need to add it to other themes/plugins/sites if you want to use
something other than the default.

Since it is a new property and therefore the theme/plugin/site knows
nothing about what it does it is highly unlikely it will want anything
other than the default.

>>I know we recently had issues with versioned plugins, but that was the
>>first time we had done a versioned release. I think the code is right
>>now. There should be no real problem anymore (needs more thorough testing).
>

> I haven't tested that stuff yet, e.g. do we still
> have a problem with the 0.7 downloading of say the
> projectInfo plugin.

No (but need more thoroguh testing).

Ross