forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Distributing themes
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:30:45 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>I propose that themes be distributed as plugins rather than having them
>>all in the themer plugin. ...
>

> The reasoning sounds fine. I won't comment further until
> we hear Thorsten's view.
>
> The problem with the plugin approach is that there
> is too much extra weight of configuration files, e.g.
> skinconf.xml forrest.properties and other templates
> and default config, just to show one doc.
 >
> That is probably an orthoganal issue. We need to
> solve it for plugins too.

Agreed.

I've been thinking for some time that there is no good reason for
distributing the docs with the plugins. They are available online and
should be made available as a separate download (we can use the same
framework). This is particularly important for plugins like the photo
album, which has some large images in the docs.

> It is also creating a maintenance problem for the
> Forrest project. Synchronising and updating those is hell.

Can you expand on the problems?

I know we recently had issues with versioned plugins, but that was the
first time we had done a versioned release. I think the code is right
now. There should be no real problem anymore (needs more thorough testing).

Ross