forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The future (was Re: New skin: Coat)
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:08:56 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El lun, 02-01-2006 a las 22:55 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>El lun, 02-01-2006 a las 06:48 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>>(don't worry I'm going to help with the Lenya stuff too)
>>

> Actually I wonder whether it is possible to extend the daisy plugin to a
> generic external repository connector plugin. I mean you are "just"
> connecting to some uri and retrieve the content from there. Or do I miss
> something?

No, you are right on the mark. I have tried to design the Daisy plugin
in as generic a way as possible. We can't make a single plugin for both
CMS', there are some fundamental differences, however, I hope to extract
the common functionality into a "base" plugin that other CMS plugins can
  extend (that's why I am interested in the new wiring features in Cocoon).

>>I'm also with David that we need to pick our users carefully before the
>>1.0, anyone only willing to complain and not willing to ask simple
>>questions is not a useful resource for us right now.
>>

> Actually the thing that most worries me that all the conversations and
> complaints not have been directed to this list but to others. We never
> had a chance to help or response.

:-((

Read the archives, David has been fighting against this for a long time.
I live a 13 hour flght from David, yet I am sure I have heard him sigh
in desparation at least half a dozen times in the last week.

>>We need to make it as simple as possible for power users to stay up to
>>date (see other threads). Once we have that in place we can start going
>>out there looking for those users, I would propose putting together a
>>demo of a (single site) site-build project and taking it to site-dev as
>>a prototype (we have much to do before we do that though - this is a
>>medium term vision).
>>

> Actually I see this in connection with lenya. We should try to leverage
> CMS features to lenya and "just" providing an awesome renderer.
>
> Forrest as site-build tool would be "just" a crawling renderer capable
> of connecting to multiple content repositories. The dispatcher is the
> renderer, the cli.xconf the crawling configuration.

+10000

If we can get Lenya writing to SVN, host it in a zone, and have our
forrestbot publish from there I think we will finally have doco. The ASF
have harware to support this now. The publishing end is there (we just
need a live prototype so people can *see* it - I've done this on a
private server - just need to get it working n our zone).

The authoring end is there with Daisy, but I doubt that it will never
write to an SVN back-end and so cannot provide offline authoring which
is important.

Like I said, we are so close it hurts.

Ross