forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Writing generated page to disk in "forrest run"
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 04:23:18 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>So my concern is that users will forget to link
>>>the new document into the system. Perhaps we can
>>>automatically add a default link (perhaps to a
>>>supplementary site.xml) and issue a warning to
>>>the console.
>>
>>This is a slightly different case. If I understand the case here the
>>user has created a new page using their chosen editor and gone to it
>>directly by typing http://localhost:8888/myNewPage.html, but has not
>>added a link to it from a page or a menu.
>

> That is correct. And they will probably blame forrest :-(
>

>>In this case the page will still end up in the final local build (the
>>previewed and saved it), it will therefore end up on the live server (as
>> in the previous use case).
>>
>>The lack of a link is a very clear user error and could not be claimed
>>to be unexpected behaviour. I don't think we need to worry ourselves
>>about it.
>

> Okay, there is already an FAQ.

Surely not (I'm new on the Incubator list ;-). I mean the page is
generated when they view it locally, it is uploaded to the server when
they do "svn ci", but it can't be linked to, do they really expect
Forrest to write their docs for them?

Or are you saying they will want to see it automatically appear i the
site navigation? If so then it is a FAQ with an example of how we do
that in the Resume plugin.

Ross