forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [zone] httpd configuration (was character entities)
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:17:35 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> >
> > No need to have them all in SVN, just the one that
> > we want to change.
> >
> > I see that Cocoon put all their config into the
> > pmc/cocoon section of the private committers svn.
>
> Hmm, and how are they doing the checkout?

At the moment it is actually the other way around.
They maintain the files on the server, and a tar-it-up.sh
to gather the important files, then a committer unpacks
and adds it to svn. A temporary measure.

> I thought the private stuff is
> with password and we cannot checkout stuff with a user on zones.

As long as the user is in the right group
it will be fine. And as long as each user sets
their umask properly.

That module is private to "committers" so that
should be okay.

> > We should do the same for sensitive files like httpd.conf
> >
> > The main stuff would stay in our forrest/zones svn,
> > because that is not sensitive and is of use to
> > other people.
>
> Agree but I am not sure how you thought about it.

Neither am i.

> > > I have not checked it in yet because we should decide first whether we
> > > want to have /etc/apache2/ in our svn or only /etc/apache2/httpd.conf.
> > >
> > > I added it for now directly to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf and started the
> > > server (which had been down).
> >
> > Glad that more people can now start the services.
> > We need to listen to infra@ and realise it is down.
>
> Actually I submitted a patch to infrastructure to monitor lenya.zones
> with http://monitoring.apache.org/status/
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-698
>
> If we want, I can do the same for forrest, then we know when it is down
> and can react.

Our http server should only be down if the whole
zones machine has been rebooted. So IMO no need
for monitoring.

> > Next step is to automate the startup. See the fixme
> > note at http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html#admin
>
> Yeah on lenya we seem to have it because you cannot stop the httpd
> without another one get up instantly. I will try to find the difference
> between both configs.

We don't have any config. As you can see we must start by
hand after a reboot.

-David