forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Example use case.
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:39:22 GMT
Paul Bolger wrote:
> Ross
>
> This relates to an issue I've been thinking about for a while. If one
> had a pile of html and wanted to convert the docs to Forrest internal
> format, and then convert them back into html as a Forrest generated
> site presumably leaving the source documents in their original
> location would result in Forrest reconverting them whenever one of
> them was requested - which would slow things down quite a lot. As you
> would only really want this done once what would be the best way to
> approach a 'once-off' conversion' - run forrest once in 'build' mode,
> delete (or whatever) the original docs and then run Forrest in 'run'
> mode?

I would do it as a once-off conversion.

If you are using old "skins" then set disable-xml-link=false
in forrest.properties file. If using Dispatcher then
this is enabled by default in this development phase.

Do 'forrest site' to generate everything.

Perhaps you want to temporarily change forrest.properties
to set a different location for project.site-dir

That will generate the set of xml documents.
They will be in document-v1.3 format rather than
document-v2.0 because the former is still Forrest's
internal format.

Now copy those new sources from build/site/ into your
src/documentation/xdocs/ space and remove the *.html
versions. That will cause forrest to find the *.xml
(i think that it searches for a .html source first
then looks for a .xml source).

That is basically how i did it for the Incubator
site conversion, except i wrote a new output plugin
to get the special output format.

-David