forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Our doc deployment process
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:04:02 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>It would be possible to make the forrestbot deploy automatically to the
> >>svn server (in fact we use the forrestbot to do it manually).
> >
> >Except for one thing. It needs to be a committer doing
> >the svn checkin, not a role-based account.
>
> Ahhh... yes - I *always* forget that (not a problem in some
> environments, but it is a problem here at the ASF and I'm not at all
> sure how it could be solved here).
>
> It is technically possible, but it means leaving a file with username
> and password with SVN commit access on the zone. Obviously, this is not
> a good idea from a security perspective.

This is one of the factors that contributes to the
quagmire of site-build discussions at site-dev@

Actually we should not assume about this role-based
accounts. This was from the situation long ago when
we were not running on ASF hardware. Jeff had set up
a forrestbot at cocoondev.org - a remote machine.
Perhaps we should bring it up again on site-dev.
;-)

-David