forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xml output plugin and filename extension .xml
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:37:50 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >I have a partially working output plugin to generate a
> >plain xml document type solely to be consumed by Anakia. [1]
> >They can it "xdoc".
> >
> >However, i have an issue at the moment. Can you help?
> >
> >I want the output to be .xml filename extension, but of
> >course Forrest uses that for its internal format. I suppose
> >that later Forrest will use .xhtml2 but not now or maybe
> >not even use a filename extension..
> >
> >So i am using .xdoc
> >
> >localhost:8888/index.xdoc works now.
> >
> >Is there a way to reclaim the xml filename extension?
>
> How about we change the internal format extension to ".forrest"

Okay.

> I see no reason why it should be ".xml", in fact having it as ".xml" has
> forced us to use ".source.xml" for the original source. Which is counter
> intuitive.

Would that be any different.

> This would mean that your plugin can then use the xml extension to
> output anakia format docs. I can see plugins ending up with clashes on
> this URL - we can resolve those when the occur using the lcoationmap.

Okay.

> There is a backward compatability issue here though. If people are using
> the *.xml urls for some reason (like one of my sites does) they will
> need to rewrite client applications that retrieve those URLs. We could
> provide an internal plugin that keeps backward compatability and
> deprecate it (schedule for removal in the 1.0 release).

Do you have some clues about doing that?

> Fortunately the *.xml generation is turned off in the default
> fresh-site, and I doubt many projects turn it back on. But we would
> still need to vote on it.

Sounds big. I don't have the energy for it
at the moment. So i think that i will go with
the .xdoc extension for this first version
of the plugin.

If someone else can manage to coordinate Ross'
suggestion, then please do.

-David