forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: upgrading Forrest's Cocoon (Was: photogallery plugin thoughts)
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:21:01 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > There are two separate issues here.
> >
> > One is to upgrade Forrest version of Cocoon and blocks
> > to a recent version of Ccooon-2.2 i.e. their trunk,
> > and also to include the ImageReader block.
> > See below.
> >
> > The other is that you want to make a change to
> > the ImageReader block of Cocoon. For that you need
> > to commit the changes to Cocoon trunk. As a Forrest
> > committer you can do that. If you think that it needs
> > discussion then do so on cocoon-dev. Otherwise send
> > a patch to their Jira (don't jold your breath on getting
> > it applied).
>
> I've misled you I think.  I am not wanting to modify the Cocoon
> ImageReader block.  I've implemented a new
> org.apache.forrest.readers.PersistentImageReader that currently
> inherits from ResourceReader but will eventually inherit from
> ImageReader.  No changes to the actual Cocoon code necessary -- it'll
> be our own reader.

Ah then we are on completely different wavelengths.
I just assumed that you were using Cocoon's facilities
and were going to enhance it.

Then we need to talk about this. There is a good reason
for Forrest not having much Java code. Where possible
we use Cocoon blocks and help to keep them maintained.

I don't know where we draw the line between developing
our own code and using/ehancing Cocoon's.

-David