forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: photogallery plugin thoughts
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:51:39 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> Helena Edelson wrote:
> >
> >  Just wondering since Java was mentioned, will you be coding this in xml for Forrest
or do you need something in Java for Cocoon?
> >  something using JPEGCodec, JPEGImageEncoder, MediaTracker, Graphics2D, Resize,
> >
> >  My experience is that uploading the full images and using software/code to generate
the thumbnail on the server is memory intensive, although I am not familiar with the readers
mentioned by Tim. I know of a dll that resizes on the server on upload but who runs windoz
servers anyway.

Helena, Cocoon already has various compoments for
handling images. See some basic demos here ...

Tim, there is a patch for a new "imageop" block
sitting in Cocoon Jira which might be of interest.

> Hi Helena,
> Yeah, I was talking about extending the ImageReader, which already
> handles the resizing, to just write the newly resized image to disk.
> I want this because of the memory intensiveness you've mentioned.  It
> turns it into essentially a one-time (hopefully non-cached) cost, then
> subsequent requests are read straight from disk instead of resizing
> yet again.  I think this is a reasonable medium between pre-generating
> everything and dynamically generating everything.
> --tim

View raw message