forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maintain forrest.properties skinconf.xml etc. (Was: svn commit: r366100)
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:02:58 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > >The solution David has chosen you still can define your minimum
> > >configuration even if you just override one property. Besides he added a
> > >nice header that you can add any given property again by looking up the
> > >fresh-site file (we everything is pretty much described).
> >
> > You are mixing the two commits David made. One was to clear out
> > unnecessary stuff from plugins etc. I'm +1 for that. The other is the
> > one above, this is for the template sites. These are used by users as a
> > starting point and therefore extra documentation in there will reduce
> > the number of questions we get on the mailing lists.
> >
> > >Another way is to define a svn:ext. Meaning all template sites would
> > >keep the blown away properties to play around but we as project have to
> > >maintain only one (e.g. the one from fresh-site).
> >
> > +1 (for the seed sites only - I'm happy with the minimal stuff in
> > plugins etc. that are not used by users in the same way)
>
> Okay, i will try to find another way to avoid the
> duplication.
>
> What i was trying to do was to make the "seed-sample" site
> the fully-documented one for all reference.
>
> I considered that the "basic" one should be basic,
> but Tim's httpd.conf analogy is good. I will put
> them back to "basic" and "business".

Done.

> I reckon that "benchmark" can be minimal. I also want
> to keep the "v3" minimal. The "v2" i have not touched
> because i presume that it will be entirely removed prior
> to the 0.8 release.

WDYT

> To link the history of the discussion for the archives:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/18638
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-776
>
> As mentioned there, Reinhard did some experimentation
> at Cocoon-2.2 (pre Daisy docs) that used svn:externals
> to maintain the forrest.properties and skinconf.xml etc.
> I will investigate and report back. I get the feeling
> that it only operates at directory level.

Here is a summary of his technique. There are two aspects:
- including copy of common configuration files via svn:externals
- using xml entities to manage common sections of xml files

Standard configuration files are at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/src/forrest-configuration
There are various things here such as sitemap.xmap
and stylesheets which we would not need for our situation.

Using 'svn:externals' this directory is created wherever it
is needed, e.g. under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation/src
So the tree is ...
 documentation
 |-- forrest.properties
 |-- src (this second src directory was a forrest config mistake)
     |-- content
     |-- forrest-configuration  <---------
     |-- skinconf.xml

The forrest.properties refers to resources in the
forrest-configuration directory.

The skinconf.xml declares some of its own stuff,
and includes other skinconf.xml files by using
xml entities. Clever.

                       --oOo--

So we could use this technique for managing the config
files of our plugins. At the moment the only ones
that i can think of is skinconf.xml and maybe the
CatalogManager.properties file. Later we might need
to include others.

What do you reckon?

                       --oOo--

> The other thing that we discussed (need to find the thread)
> was to streamline these "seed" sites so that we can
> generate various seed sites, e.g. one that strips
> out the Apache licensing info.

I reckon leave this until stage two.

-David