forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject maintain forrest.properties skinconf.xml etc. (Was: svn commit: r366100)
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:39:39 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> >The solution David has chosen you still can define your minimum
> >configuration even if you just override one property. Besides he added a
> >nice header that you can add any given property again by looking up the
> >fresh-site file (we everything is pretty much described).
>
> You are mixing the two commits David made. One was to clear out
> unnecessary stuff from plugins etc. I'm +1 for that. The other is the
> one above, this is for the template sites. These are used by users as a
> starting point and therefore extra documentation in there will reduce
> the number of questions we get on the mailing lists.
>
> >Another way is to define a svn:ext. Meaning all template sites would
> >keep the blown away properties to play around but we as project have to
> >maintain only one (e.g. the one from fresh-site).
>
> +1 (for the seed sites only - I'm happy with the minimal stuff in
> plugins etc. that are not used by users in the same way)

Okay, i will try to find another way to avoid the
duplication.

What i was trying to do was to make the "seed-sample" site
the fully-documented one for all reference.

I considered that the "basic" one should be basic,
but Tim's httpd.conf analogy is good. I will put
them back to "basic" and "business".

I reckon that "benchmark" can be minimal. I also want
to keep the "v3" minimal. The "v2" i have not touched
because i presume that it will be entirely removed prior
to the 0.8 release.

To link the history of the discussion for the archives:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/18638

As mentioned there, Reinhard did some experimentation
at Cocoon-2.2 (pre Daisy docs) that used svn:externals
to maintain the forrest.properties and skinconf.xml etc.
I will investigate and report back. I get the feeling
that it only operates at directory level.

The other thing that we discussed (need to find the thread)
was to streamline these "seed" sites so that we can
generate various seed sites, e.g. one that strips
out the Apache licensing info.

-David