forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Distributing themes
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:23:14 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>Can you expand on the problems?
> >
> >If we make a change to the forrest.properties e.g.
> >add a new parameter. The main example is at
> >main/fresh-site/forrest.properties but the changes
> >need to be replicated to every plugin. Same with
> >skinconf.xml
>
> Put the new config in default.forrest.properties (or
> default.forrest.properties.xml if we adopt the new system). You only
> need to add it to other themes/plugins/sites if you want to use
> something other than the default.
>
> Since it is a new property and therefore the theme/plugin/site knows
> nothing about what it does it is highly unlikely it will want anything
> other than the default.

Yes i realize that we can do that. However at the moment
the pluginTemplate and all current plugins have full
copies of all the full configuration stuff. We need to
rationalise that prior to 0.8 release.

Probably the hardest thing to keep synchronised is the
skinconf.xml in each plugin. Many of them have not been
properly configured (especially whiteboard ones). Perhaps
the pluginTemplate needs a skinconf.xml that is ready
to go for Apache Forrest hosted plugins. At the moment
it is generic and needs to edited for each plugin.

Added as: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-776

-David