forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Distributing themes
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:53:09 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>I propose that themes be distributed as plugins rather than having them
> >>all in the themer plugin. ...
> >
> >The reasoning sounds fine. I won't comment further until
> >we hear Thorsten's view.
> >
> >The problem with the plugin approach is that there
> >is too much extra weight of configuration files, e.g.
> >skinconf.xml forrest.properties and other templates
> >and default config, just to show one doc.
> >
> >That is probably an orthoganal issue. We need to
> >solve it for plugins too.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I've been thinking for some time that there is no good reason for
> distributing the docs with the plugins. They are available online and
> should be made available as a separate download (we can use the same
> framework). This is particularly important for plugins like the photo
> album, which has some large images in the docs.
>
> >It is also creating a maintenance problem for the
> >Forrest project. Synchronising and updating those is hell.
>
> Can you expand on the problems?

If we make a change to the forrest.properties e.g.
add a new parameter. The main example is at
main/fresh-site/forrest.properties but the changes
need to be replicated to every plugin. Same with
skinconf.xml

> I know we recently had issues with versioned plugins, but that was the
> first time we had done a versioned release. I think the code is right
> now. There should be no real problem anymore (needs more thorough testing).

I haven't tested that stuff yet, e.g. do we still
have a problem with the 0.7 downloading of say the
projectInfo plugin.

-David