forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Distributing themes
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:25:28 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I propose that themes be distributed as plugins rather than having them
> all in the themer plugin. ...

The reasoning sounds fine. I won't comment further until
we hear Thorsten's view.

The problem with the plugin approach is that there
is too much extra weight of configuration files, e.g.
skinconf.xml forrest.properties and other templates
and default config, just to show one doc.

That is probably an orthoganal issue. We need to
solve it for plugins too.

It is also creating a maintenance problem for the
Forrest project. Synchronising and updating those is hell.

At one stage, Reinhard did some nice experiments at Cocoon
with centralised config for various projects. Probably still
in cocoon-trunk.

-David