forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: [RT] Writing generated page to disk in "forrest run"
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:40:00 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>Interim conclusion:
> >>
> >>We need to provide site validation tools that check all local links in
> >>the locally built site. These could be run on a deploy command.
> >
> >We already have that ... 'forrest site' or the forrestbot "build"
> >workstage.
> exactly, see the first mail in this thread, I'm proposing integrating
> the forrestbot webapp in "forrest run" ;-)

I had seen references to forrestbot, but i had assumed
that you meant the backend of it. Now i begin to see
your vision. Interesting.

> >I am becoming wary of this proposed new ability.
> >Perhaps okay if we have a loud FAQ about the limitations
> >and encourage its use only for a quick re-build of
> >the current page, i.e. do not make it the primary way
> >of working.
> Agreed - in fact I was thinking that when you save a page the browser is
> redirected to a report page that says how likely it is that your site is
> still synchronised. We could keep a timestamp of the last time the site
> has been built, keep a count of the number of pages individually saved,
> check timestamps of navigation and theme files against the last build
> timestamp etc.

Yes i was wondering about such a solution too. Good.

> >I am also wary about turning Forrest into a poor person's
> >content management system by using htmlarea and such.
> I agree I think we should deprecate the htmlArea plugin (it probably
> doesn't work anymore anyway). What other plugins are there that cause
> concern about being a poor mans CMS?

Well it is hard to know where the line is.
Our mission statement is intentionally vague.
The Introduction on the home page also avoids
mention of it. Perhaps it would help to have an
FAQ about the CMS aspect.

Every day i intend to explore the new "NoteTaking" plugin.
(Oh, something wrong with the online docs.)
I suspect that that is a fine use.

View raw message