forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Writing generated page to disk in "forrest run"
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:40:00 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>Interim conclusion:
> >>
> >>We need to provide site validation tools that check all local links in
> >>the locally built site. These could be run on a deploy command.
> >
> >We already have that ... 'forrest site' or the forrestbot "build"
> >workstage.
>
> exactly, see the first mail in this thread, I'm proposing integrating
> the forrestbot webapp in "forrest run" ;-)

I had seen references to forrestbot, but i had assumed
that you meant the backend of it. Now i begin to see
your vision. Interesting.

> >I am becoming wary of this proposed new ability.
> >Perhaps okay if we have a loud FAQ about the limitations
> >and encourage its use only for a quick re-build of
> >the current page, i.e. do not make it the primary way
> >of working.
>
> Agreed - in fact I was thinking that when you save a page the browser is
> redirected to a report page that says how likely it is that your site is
> still synchronised. We could keep a timestamp of the last time the site
> has been built, keep a count of the number of pages individually saved,
> check timestamps of navigation and theme files against the last build
> timestamp etc.

Yes i was wondering about such a solution too. Good.

> >I am also wary about turning Forrest into a poor person's
> >content management system by using htmlarea and such.
>
> I agree I think we should deprecate the htmlArea plugin (it probably
> doesn't work anymore anyway). What other plugins are there that cause
> concern about being a poor mans CMS?

Well it is hard to know where the line is.
Our mission statement is intentionally vague.
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#mission
The Introduction on the home page also avoids
mention of it. Perhaps it would help to have an
FAQ about the CMS aspect.

Every day i intend to explore the new "NoteTaking" plugin.
(Oh, something wrong with the online docs.)
I suspect that that is a fine use.

-David