forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Writing generated page to disk in "forrest run"
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:59:51 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>Comments?
> >
> >If they have other forms of the document e.g.
> >*.pdf or *.pod or *.txt etc. then those duplicate
> >formats would not be generated, because links
> >would not be followed.
>
> Good point.
>
> That will have to be addressed. Couple of options:
>
> I think that should be fairly easy to do by flagging links that are
> created by output plugins in the skin/theme with a specific class. The
> tool can then look for such links in the page and publish them (doesn't
> work is a user manually adds such a link)
>
> Alternative:
>
> Assume page is foo.html, then scan the page for links to "foo.*" and
> render those pages too. Still doesn't work is the different format is
> linked from another site.
>
> Interim conclusion:
>
> We need to provide site validation tools that check all local links in
> the locally built site. These could be run on a deploy command.

We already have that ... 'forrest site' or the forrestbot "build"
workstage.

I am becoming wary of this proposed new ability.
Perhaps okay if we have a loud FAQ about the limitations
and encourage its use only for a quick re-build of
the current page, i.e. do not make it the primary way
of working.

I am also wary about turning Forrest into a poor person's
content management system by using htmlarea and such.

-David