forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [zone] httpd configuration (was character entities)
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:44:55 GMT
El sáb, 28-01-2006 a las 17:04 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:

> > > Perhaps better to have direct svn checkout, but not sure if that
> > > is possible for this httpd config.
> >
> > Hmm, actually it would but only sudos could update then.
>
> That is how it should be.
>
> > ...and do we really want all the following files in svn (seeing by the
> > public)?
> > # ls -al /etc/apache2/
> > total 340
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin          512 Dec 15 01:07 .
> > drwxr-xr-x  65 root     sys         3584 Jan 26 05:26 ..
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin         1987 May 16  2005
> > highperformance-std.conf
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin         1987 May 16  2005
> > highperformance.conf
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        37519 May 16  2005 httpd-std.conf
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       37689 Jan 26 22:31 httpd.conf
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        37661 Jul 20  2005 httpd.conf-example
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        12959 May 16  2005 magic
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        15020 May 16  2005 mime.types
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        10759 May 16  2005 ssl-std.conf
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        10996 May 16  2005 ssl.conf
>
> No need to have them all in SVN, just the one that
> we want to change.
>
> I see that Cocoon put all their config into the
> pmc/cocoon section of the private committers svn.

Hmm, and how are they doing the checkout? I thought the private stuff is
with password and we cannot checkout stuff with a user on zones.

> We should do the same for sensitive files like httpd.conf
>
> The main stuff would stay in our forrest/zones svn,
> because that is not sensitive and is of use to
> other people.

Agree but I am not sure how you thought about it.

> > > Either way, we will need a document to remind us of all about
> > > these specific symlinks and 'svn co'. I started something at
> > > f.a.o/zone.html
> >
> > I have not checked it in yet because we should decide first whether we
> > want to have /etc/apache2/ in our svn or only /etc/apache2/httpd.conf.
> >
> > I added it for now directly to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf and started the
> > server (which had been down).
>
> Glad that more people can now start the services.
> We need to listen to infra@ and realise it is down.

Actually I submitted a patch to infrastructure to monitor lenya.zones
with http://monitoring.apache.org/status/

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-698

If we want, I can do the same for forrest, then we know when it is down
and can react.

> Next step is to automate the startup. See the fixme
> note at http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html#admin

Yeah on lenya we seem to have it because you cannot stop the httpd
without another one get up instantly. I will try to find the difference
between both configs.

salu2
--
thorsten