forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: character entities
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:43:44 GMT
El mié, 25-01-2006 a las 16:34 +0800, Gav.... escribió:
> -
> |
> | Jeje, nice theory, but I have an example where you do not combine &#160;
> | with " and still the described behavior can be seen.
> |
> |        <forrest:hook class="breadtrail">
> |          <forrest:contract name="genericMarkup">
> |            <forrest:properties contract="genericMarkup">
> |              <forrest:property name="genericMarkup">
> |                <strong>&#160;</strong>
> |              </forrest:property>
> |            </forrest:properties>
> |          </forrest:contract>
> |        </forrest:hook>
>
> Yes, it was a theory, it  was late also.
> What does a strong space look like :)

lol It is a trick, because the genericMarkup contract is expecting
markup and not single strings. ;-)

> | > Anyway, in the example contract code above, removing &#160; and putting
> | > real space in there cures it and the space
> | > is preserved no problem as it is enclosed between the quotes.
> | >
> | > I copied the contract to my /pili/html/ directory and it now renders
> | > correctly.
> | >
> | > Have I missed something here or was it that simple ?
> | >

> | Actually regarding http://www.html-world.de/program/html_sz.php
> | Unicode: &nbsp;
> | XML: &#160;
> | Result: space
> |
> | We are using the right code for spaces. I guess you need to set the
> | locale to UTF-8 on the server (before starting httpd), since forrest is
> | rendering it on lenya.zones just fine but the httpd is delivering the
> | content with "Â".
>
> I am not disputing that &#160; is a space, my argument and what my
> solution above was that you need not employ &#160; all the time -
> especially when text is surrounded by quotes.
>
> The example text is :-
>
> ("<i18n:text >Last Published:</i18n:text>&#160;" + document.lastModified);
>
> The &#160; is there to put a space between the : and the date produced by
> document.lastModified. I do not see a reason for using &#160; in this case
> the same as there is no &#160; between the words 'Last' and 'Published'
>
> What works for me is :-
>
> ("<i18n:text >Last Published:</i18n:text> " + document.lastModified);
>
> That 'space' is legal and universal, it is enclosed in quotes and so will
> get converted correctly no matter how the locale is set on the server.
>
> Also for some, there will definatly be problems in getting their web server
> locale changed. I can change my locale on my server no problem, however
> apache.minitutorials.com and some of my other sites are remotely hosted
> by different ISPs, I doubt they will change on my say so. I guess this to
> be true of many Forrest users.

Yeah, you are right for above contract or any other xsl based code where
you always have the solution of <xsl:text> </xsl:text> or the one you
described, but the problem is actually bigger then this. Like seen in
the "strong space" example, you may want a single space in some hooks or
better in the structurer.

I can understand that some server are out of control and the
configuration may be given, but as David points out normally you can
control it via .htaccess which all ISP should allow.

I do not know atm a simple solution but I know that the source of
http://lenya.zones.apache.org/index.html on the servers DOC_ROOT looks
like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <script type="text/javascript">document.write("Today: " + new
Date());</script>

...and looking on the source code of above link I can find:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <script type="text/javascript">document.write("Today:Â " + new
Date());</script>

Now the question is who to blame that the encoding is ignored? Like
stated above in some situation (e.g. not based on xsl) you need to use
the *right* way for defining spaces in utf-8 (&#160;), what about this
situations?

salu2
--
thorsten