forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject [zone] httpd configuration (was character entities)
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:23:26 GMT
El lun, 23-01-2006 a las 11:43 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I am running into the same problem ATM. You can see it online at
> > http://lenya.zones.apache.org/ "Today:??..." (I am looking right now to
> > fix that, so the site may be fixed if you visit it)
> >
> > On my local machine that does not happen. I have run into a similar
> > problem with cocoon on a job I did a while ago. The problem was lying in
> > the server configuration, now I just looked on our zones server:
> > Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
> > -bash-3.00$ locale
> > LANG=
> > LC_CTYPE="C"
> > LC_NUMERIC="C"
> > LC_TIME="C"
> > LC_COLLATE="C"
> > LC_MONETARY="C"
> > LC_MESSAGES="C"
> > LC_ALL=
> >
> > The locale is not UTF-8!
> >
> > Doing "locale" on my machine gives:
> > LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
> > LC_CTYPE="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_COLLATE="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_MONETARY="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_PAPER="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_NAME="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_ADDRESS="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES.UTF-8"
> > LC_ALL=
> >
> > That is UTF-8!
> >
> > The solution back on the job was setting the language to de_DE.UTF-8
> > before starting the tomcat server.

I tried this but the httpd on zone is started differently like on other
unix systems. I am still looking for a way how to "teach apache2" to use
utf-8 locales.

Finding

makes it clear that even if you set the env to utf-8 prior to the start
of httpd it will get ignored. :(

> > Actually regarding http://www.html-world.de/program/html_sz.php
> > Unicode: &nbsp;
> > XML: &#160;
> > Result: space
> >
> > We are using the right code for spaces. I guess you need to set the
> > locale to UTF-8 on the server (before starting httpd), since forrest is
> > rendering it on lenya.zones just fine but the httpd is delivering the
> > content with "??".
>
> On forrest.apache.org we have this workaround in our .htaccess
> AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>
> However we don't yet have that on forrest.zones.apache.org as
> our httpd instance needs other configuration too.

Yeah, I tried the .htaccess tip but like you stated there are some other
configurations to do.

Do you know which or maybe can point me to some resources?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"