forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: o.a.f.themer.Coat
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:01:28 GMT
El vie, 20-01-2006 a las 12:17 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > since the last answer to Gav, where I am talking about extending themes
> > instead of creating new ones, I looked again in the coat theme.
> >
> > The coat theme is providing
> > a) one structurer - coat.fv
> > b) one css definition - coat.css
> >
> > For me it makes awfully lot of sense to integrate this two files into
> > the core themes
> > a) out of maintenance reasons
> > b) as well because the theme package providing mechanism will not be
> > ready for a while (since it has to be based on the final dispatcher
> > release)
> > c) it is apache stuff (a very good alternative to pelt or common) and
> > belongs into the core.
> >
> > wdyt?
> As an example of the download mechanism coat is indeed a bad example
> because it has no contracts or anything like that.
> My motivation for the theme download system is the same as being able to
> host plugins elsewhere, that is themes can be released under a different
> license if necessary, for example, there are a whole load of useful web
> site themes based on CSS that cannot be released under the Apache license.

One can even think on further extending such a download mechanism that
you describe with I was trying to explain in following linked thread.

The idea is that you point forrest to the master site and css and
forrest guides you through an interactive process to match forrest
contracts with the master structurer file (from e.g. Forrest then
generates you the structurer.fv and if necessary additional contracts.
Packages them to a theme and installs this theme on your project or in a
theme package.

> The second reason is that we can provide separate sample sites that show
> off the theme to its best advantage.
> If you want to move coat into the themer for the above reasons that is
> fine, as long as we are able to provide separate sample sites for each
> theme (again in the case of the coat theme, it doesn't provide any
> contracts so doesn't actually need a sample site yet).

ATM, like you stated, we do not need sample sites, so let us worry about
them when there is a need for it.

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

View raw message